Game Review: Spider-man (2018)

Before we start, I would like to get this out of the way: This game really makes you FEEEEEEEEEEEL like Spider-Man.



On a more serious note, Spider-Man (2018) is an excellent game, through and through. From the somewhat simple yet epic opening to an expected but memorable ending, Spider-Man (2018) was a blast. I found myself appreciating almost every aspect of the game and wished the game was longer than the roughly 20 hours it took to finish.

I'll start with the feature every single reviewer including myself loved: the webslinging. Using webs to move about the city was fun and exciting. While I'll admit that even towards the end of the game I still didn't have a perfect grasp on the mechanics of it, we slinging felt so satisfying and peaceful. I know many people may not be happy but one thing I really liked was the lack of fall damage. It may not be realistic but getting back up immediately after falling down didn't ruin the experience for me. However, I'm not surprised to know i am enjoying this aspect since Insomniac Games, the developer of Spider-Man (2018), was also behind Sunset Overdrive, a third-person shooter which featured one of the coolest movement mechanisms I have ever seen. Damn shame it was an Xbox One exclusive game. I would have done more than just watch the gameplay footage.



My favorite part of webslinging was using a Point Launch, a move which occurs when you press L2 and R2 together towards a target but right before you land there, you press × which will cause Spider-Man to launch off the point and give himself a boost in speed which was helpful in chase missions.

The story and world building were also great though I think the less said, the better. I really don't want to give any spoilers and I think it would be best for you to explore the world and see what this game's rendition of New York City has to offer. But I will say that this version of Peter Parker was certainly a fun guy. He embodied the best traits of Peter Parker from the comics and the movies, except for Andrew Garfield's version which i lovingly refer to as




I could continue gushing about this game but let's move on with my concerns. My biggest problem in the game was combat, not that the controls were bad or anything, I just suck as a gamer. I had a difficult time in the beginning (obviously) and despite the variety of moves available to me, I mostly spammed the square and × buttons to jump and downward kick my opponents.



As the game went on, I stopped using my stupid tactic and tried to focus on attempting the numerous different moves that were available, though with limited success. One major problem I had was during aerial combat, where during a combo I would unintentionally do a swing kick instead of a regular kick. According to the move list that occurs while holding square during an aerial beatdown which I thought was weird since I was constantly tapping square. Either the move was programmed to act too quickly or my responses are too slow.



Fortunately for those folks who don't fancy getting their butt handed to them, the game offers the option to take enemies down through the use of stealth, where you can web enemies up and leave them hanging from above or jump down and land on top of them. I don't know if you can finish an entire mission using stealth tactics but I generally used it to thin the herd before I went on a rampage.

Ultimately, Spider-Man (2018) might probably win Game of the Year and I would be totally OK with that. The game has already beaten God of War's record for highest number of sales on the PS4 and will continue to do so. However, I do not suggest buying the game right now. Sony has already announced 3 upcoming DLC's for the game and it would be more economical to wait for the complete edition before buying the game.

Spider-Man (2018) is currently available for the PS4

[Almost all images by Insomniac Games]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: Wag The Dog (1998)

A Simple Music Review: Metronomy