Special Review: Food Inc.

Ever since I was a child, I was fascinated with food, but only for its consumption. Regardless of any situation, the desire for a tasty dish is always on my mind. But it wasn't until recently I realised that there are consequences to my eating habits. And I credit this self discovery to Food Inc.



Food Inc. is a documentary about the behind the scenes look of the manufacturing and production of all our daily essentials. But it's also a dark perspective on the methods used to supply food on a massive scale while trying to cut costs. As a business student, I understand the need to maximise profits. Profits are what keep a company afloat, but companies need to follow ethical practices without causing harm to society in the process of obtaining their wealth.

 Food Inc. helped me realise that there is a vast and intricate system behind the food industry and it doesn't just involve food manufacturers. For example, a labourer with diabetes spends most of his income on medicine, leaving very little money to buy food for his family so the only thing he can afford is burgers from the dollar menu. It's almost like a vicious cycle he must endure. This is just one small segment that the documentary contains but I shall refrain from explaining more content. If I gave more information, anyone watching the documentary may not feel the same impact I felt after viewing it for the first time.

Despite being released 8 years ago, this documentary is still relevant in this day and age. Just the fact that many products label themselves as organic and cruelty free is a sign that companies still follow unethical practices. If all companies acted in good faith, there wouldn't be a need for such labels.

I'll be honest. Food Inc. didn't necessarily change my life. Initially I expected myself to turn into a vegetarian after watching the mistreatment of various livestock but I found myself enjoying some grilled chicken soon afterwards. But the staggering amount of evidence shown is not something which can be ignored. It helped me become more aware of the wrongdoing that is a part of the food chain. As a consumer, the only difference we can make is in our choices. All we need to do to correct such injustices is to change the way we buy our food. Even something like reading the ingredients on a jar should be sufficient. Changing your habits little by little can make a difference

Quote: "Cheap food is an illusion"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: Wag The Dog (1998)

A Simple Music Review: Metronomy

Game Review: Spider-man (2018)